It looks like something out of a science fiction movie (and apparently it looks a lot like a Japanese trash can too), but the Mac Pro will be a piece of reality in a few months.
People who love Apple hardware, and use computers for graphics rendering or video will be dying to get their hands on this device. Here are the top five reasons why we will want to see the new Mac Pro on our desktop:
1. The Design. What is it? A coffee grinder? It’s a bit weird for a computer, but increadibly sleek at the same time. It reminds me a bit of the SGI O2, but way cooler. This device will probably be a major iconic design in the Apple’s historical lineup. The current Mac Pro is a beautiful machine, but the new Mac Pro makes the old cheese grater look retro.
2. Power. With up to 12 cores of Xeon 5 processor and 40 GB per second PCIe bandwidth, the new Mac Pro can deliver cpu performance up to 2x the current Mac Pro.
3. Speed. The new Mac Pro will support up to 128GB of ram and feature 60GB per second memory bandwidth, 2x the current bandwidth. The storage is “Next generation PCIe flash storage” that can read/write at 1250MB per second. 20Gb per second thunderbolt expansion ports. Super fast.
3. Graphics. The new Mac Pro will have, standard, two AMD FirePro GPUs with up to 6GB of dedicated VRAM graphics. The machine supports 4k video and up to three 4k displays.
4. Size. It’s like an eighth the size of the current Mac Pro.